Thursday, April 28, 2011

Going No 'Poo

I recently abandoned my Suave shampoo and conditioner for a more environmental and wallet friendly washing method. I used a baking soda and water paste to wash my hair and then sprayed apple cider vinegar diluted with water on my hair for conditioner.

I must say, it did take some time to adjust to using this concoction. A number of times I jumped into the shower and then realized I had forgotten my baking soda. All the preparation aside, it worked wonderfully. As long as I scrubbed my entire scalp with the baking soda, my hair felt very clean and not greasy.

The real kicker was the vinegar. Yes, it did smell when I applied it, but then I rinsed it out. Other blogs and articles promised that I would not smell like a salad all day long. And they were right. When my hair dried, you could not smell the apple cider vinegar. However, when my hair got wet - like while I was working out at the gym - the smell came back.

I could handle that, but my husband wasn't too keen on the vinegar smell. He did have to put up with working out next to me and using the vinegarized bathroom after I was done, so I see his point. I've switched to Nature's Gate shampoo and conditioner. It's an organic and vegan product line. I'm hoping it's a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment